Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Poem - This Magic Moment

This magic moment we have to seize
In this magic grove amongst the trees
The whisper of the leaves in the breeze
The sunset weaving strands of gold
In your hair and face. Enthralled, I behold
This one moment since times untold
I would hold this moment within my heart
I looked at you, knew this was a start
The silence, within my heart it crept
No birds sang, no crickets wept
Just two of us here by ourselves
Away from the cares of life itself
I looked at you, you hugged a tree 
What did it tell you, anything about me? 
I did the same, I hugged one, too
Listened closely, they talked to me, too
The trees tell me they're of the Earth
So are we, all of us, united in birth
From here we start and here we end
From birth to death our way we wend
One magic moment, among the trees
One magic moment, locked in a frieze.


****************************************


I wrote this poem in 1998. I was in Berkeley with a friend. And he hugged a tree and I watched him. All of a sudden I wanted to write this poem. All he had in his pocket was a restaurant receipt. I wrote this poem on the back of that receipt - using his back as a table! Most of the poem was written without any editing. Thanks Jennifer for making me switch those last two lines around. It worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do let me know what you thought of my efforts!